VEX IQ: What is VEX IQ?
VEX IQ is a robotics platform designed to transform STEM learning for students and their teachers.
- Connect any combination of up to 12 motors and sensors to the IQ Brain
- Built in Smart Motors – quadrature encoders are built into all motors
- New Sensor Types – Gyro, color, LED bump, sonar, and touch sensor
- Wireless radio control with 2 programmable joystick s and 8 programmable buttons
- LCD screen allows quick access to all robot data
- ROBOTC software can be used to control either VEX IQ or VEX Cortex Controllers
- Robot Virtual Worlds and games allows every student to have a robot
- Robotics STEM Curriculum produced by the Robotics Academy (Fall)
The VEX IQ Brain
The VEX IQ Robot brain is simple, yet very powerful. Some highlights of the brain:
- (12) identical Smart ports - connect any device to any port
- Backlit LCD for simple operation
- Built in programs make robot building fast and fun
- Programmable with ROBOTC
The Radio Controller
The Controller is at the center of what makes VEX IQ robots fun to build and easy to use. VEX IQ allows you to build a robot and drive it immediately, giving instant success and testing the robot.
- (4) Joystick Axis
- (8) Buttons
- Over 50 hours of battery life on a single charge
- Works with VEX IQ Radios: 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz
- Controller, Battery and Radio each sold separately
There are a few different types of sensors for the VEX IQ system:
- Gyro Sensor - Can be used to measure angle/rotation and calculate the robot's direction
- Distance Sensor - Can be used to measure distance from an object or wall
- Color Sensor - Detects the color of objects
- Touch LED - The Color LED outputs color and detects touch (i.e. for student interaction)
- Bumper Switch - A "low force" switch that can detect light touches (i.e. walls or limit an arm's motion)
The Smart Motor
The motor is what is used to make your wheels spin, and your arm move. It also has a built in "quadrature encoder" (allows you to track how far you've gone), and allows advanced control and feedback to the robot's brain. Here are some more features:
- Command speed, direction, time, revolutions and degrees
- Mounts directly to VEX IQ structural components
- Command motors up to 3,000 times/second
- Encoder resolution is 0.375 degrees
- Supports event programming to simplify software
The VEX IQ kits come with a rugged storage bin, lid, and tray enabling you to protect your investment.
VEX IQ Full Field Perimeter and Tiles
Although you can run your class without the Full Field Perimeter and Tiles, the snap together (and appart) construction and quick assembly provides a very convienent classroom testbed to run your robots on.